Family-Centered Care for You and Your Baby
Family-centered care means that you and your family are part of the team.
A nurturing family is essential for a healthy baby. That’s why we emphasize the partnership between families and health care professionals to ensure the best possible care during your labor, delivery and recovery.
Please tell us how you define your family, and talk to your nurse about who you want to be involved in your care and your baby’s care while you are in the hospital.
Our doctors and nurses will communicate with you clearly and help you every step of the way, with guidance on swaddling and bathing your child, understanding how your baby communicates, and all of the little things that make the first days and weeks of parenting so challenging and rewarding. If you have questions, please ask. And if you want your parents, grandparents or other family or friends present to learn how to care for your baby, tell your nurse, and she will do her best to accommodate.
Our program of care for new mothers and babies combines clinical excellence and outstanding support before and after you leave the hospital. Our commitment to the highest level of care for infant feeding and mother-baby bonding has earned us a Baby-Friendly™ designation by the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative—a global program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
At Christiana Care, an experienced maternity nurse will care for you and your baby together and provide one-on-one parent education. Our goal is to provide the best possible care and to make your experience happy, relaxed and unforgettable.
Why should you have your baby at Christiana Care?
- Our philosophy of family-centered care means that you will recuperate from labor and delivery in a private room, where we will help you to bond with your new baby and learn the finer points of caring for your infant in a secure, relaxed environment.
- We are the region’s only Level III neonatal intensive-care unit, which means that we have the highest capability to handle any emergency that might arise.
- Our doctors, nurses, nurse midwives and support staff are among the most experienced in the region, helping to deliver more than 6,000 babies each year.
- We are among only 10 percent of hospitals and birthing centers across the U.S. designated as Baby-Friendly™ by the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative—a global program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- Our parent education and breastfeeding support teams are ready to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to be a confident, relaxed parent.
With our expert care, advanced technology—including electronic medical records—and standard of excellence in all that we do, we want to be your partner in good health for a lifetime. Welcome to Christiana Care!
To learn more about our maternity services, call 302-733-3360.