Parent Education & Support
To guide you through early pregnancy, labor, birth and beyond, our Parent Education Department offers a wide variety of classes and special sessions that can prepare you for the joys and challenges ahead.
All of our classes are taught by experienced nurses who are certified childbirth educators. We also have lactation consultants on-staff and a breastfeeding resource center to help you get a good start with breastfeeding. We offer tours as well.
Classes are an ideal gift for parents-to-be. For more information, call our Parent Education office at 302-733-2472.
Christiana Care is among only 10 percent of hospitals and birthing centers across the U.S. to be designated as Baby-Friendly™ by the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative –a global program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – for offering the optimum level of care for infant feeding and mother-baby bonding.
When should I register?
We recommend that you call the Parent Education Department right after your first pregnancy doctor visit. This will allow you to plan the classes that are right for you and register early. Our class sizes are limited, and they do fill quickly.
How do I register?
You can register by phone with your credit card, or print out the mail-in registration form (PDF) to pay by check. You will receive a letter confirming your class date, time and classroom number before class begins.
Cancellations must be made at least three business days prior to the beginning of class in order to receive a refund. A $10 transaction fee is charged for each cancelled class and will be deducted from your refund.
What classes should I take?
We offer a wide variety of classes for parents and grandparents. Below are some commonly recommended options.
What if I have needs that aren’t addressed in this list?
Give us a call, and we’ll be happy to work with you to find the best solution to meet your needs.
Preparing for Labor & Delivery
- Labor & Delivery Tour: Enjoy an in-person tour, including labor and delivery room or view the virtual maternity tour. Free
- Labor Series: This course teaches about signs of preterm labor, induction, C-section, anesthesia options and stress management. Other topics include pregnancy resources, early postpartum care and transition to parenthood. A tour of Labor & Delivery is also included. This class does not include discussion of newborn care. $100
- Labor Basics: One weeknight. This is a condensed class which includes the topics covered in Parent Steps minus postpartum care and transition to parenthood. A tour is not included. $60
- Relaxation & Breathing: Learn relaxation and stress relief techniques. $40
Caring for Your Baby
- Newborn Class: Great for first time parents, adoptive parents and also serves as a refresher for experienced parents. Covers early infant care, diapering, umbilical cord care and infant safety. $40
- Breastfeeding Class: This class teaches the benefits of breastfeeding, how to get started, role of support people, latching and positioning. Other topics include how to tell if your baby is getting enough milk, pumping, milk storage and returning to work. This class is taught by a certified lactation consultant. One support person is encouraged to attend with mom. $30
Get the Family Involved
- Grandparenting: Class covers current information and techniques for newborn care and safety. Learn how to support your children as they become parents. $10 per person
Classes for You and Your New Baby
- Breastfeeding Support Group: Moms helping other moms with the guidance of a lactation consultant. We can determine the need for private lactation consultation. No registration required. Held every Monday afternoon in room 1932, from 2-3 p.m., or every Wednesday evening in room 1927, from 6 -7 p.m., excluding (standard) holidays. Free
- Mother/Baby Development: For first time moms with babies up to 12 weeks old. Meet other moms and babies to have an open discussion about an array of topics including breastfeeding, adjusting to motherhood and ways to calm your baby. No registration required. Held every Monday, excluding (standard) holidays, in room 1932, from 10-11:30 a.m. Free
Keeping Your Baby Safe
- CPR for Family & Friends: Learn child and infant choking and CPR (non-certifying). $20 per person
- Child Safety Seat Inspection: A certified technician will show you how to properly install your child safety seat. You will then be given a chance to install it yourself and have it checked to ensure that you have understood the proper technique. Please call to schedule at least 4-6 weeks before your due date. You will need to bring your infant car seat with you. This inspection takes about 20 minutes. Call for pricing
- Plan now for the birth of your child. A birth plan is an easy tool to help you think through your care options, decide which are right for you and share them with the health care team. Free
Parent Education Department
4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19718 directions
|Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.|