School-Based Health Centers
In partnership with school districts and the Delaware Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Social Services, Christiana Care operates high-school wellness centers that provide high-quality health care to teens—right at school.
Wellness centers help teens overcome many obstacles to receiving good health care, such as lack of transportation, inconvenient appointment times and worries about cost and confidentiality. Working with each student’s health care provider, parents and school nurse, wellness centers provide comprehensive medical and mental-health care, treatment and health education. Services offered at the wellness centers include:
- Physical examinations, including routine exams, sports physicals and pre-employment physicals.
- Health screenings, including those for communicable infections.
- Women’s health care.
- Birth control at approved sites.
- Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries.
- Nutrition and weight management.
- Individual, family and group counseling.
- Crisis intervention and suicide prevention.
- Tobacco cessation counseling.
- Drug and alcohol abuse counseling and referral.
- Outreach to at-risk youth.
- Health and nutrition education.
- Doctor referrals.
- Follow-up as requested by the student’s family health care provider.
The wellness centers do not provide hospitalization, X-rays or complex laboratory tests, and do not provide ongoing treatment of complex medical or psychiatric problems.
How to access the wellness centers
Students under 18 must enroll by having their parent or guardian sign a consent form, and complete a registration and health history form. Enrollment forms must be returned to the wellness center before any services will be provided.
The high-school wellness centers adhere to federal regulations governing confidentiality of care. However, wellness centers encourage students to involve their parents or guardians in their wellness plans. Parents and guardians are invited to call with questions or arrange a visit to the wellness center.
Center for Community Health
1400 N. Washington St., 4th Floor, Wilmington, DE 19801 directions