Maternal-Fetal Medicine Prenatal Genetic Risk Assessment
If a birth defect or inherited disorder runs in your family, ChristianaCare genetic counselors can help you identify your baby’s potential health risks, make informed family planning decisions or prepare for medical treatments in utero or after birth.
Maternal–fetal genetic counseling:
- If you are interested in starting a family, have you considered learning more about carrier screening?
- Are you pregnant or are you planning to be pregnant at age 35 or older?
- Have you been told your pregnancy is at increased risk for a birth defect or genetic condition such as an open neural tube defect, Down syndrome or trisomy 18 based on the results of an ultrasound examination or blood test?
- Do you have a family history of intellectual disability, an inherited disorder or a birth defect?
- Have you had three or more unexplained miscarriages or stillbirths?
- Is your partner a close blood relative, such as a first cousin?
- Are you concerned that your medical history, lifestyle or job may pose a risk to the outcome of your pregnancy (things like maternal diabetes, exposure to radiation, medications, illegal drug use, chemicals or infections)?
Our licensed, expert genetic counselors can help you understand hereditary conditions and review available options. They also can serve as an advocate for you and your baby.
To learn more about prenatal or preconception genetics, contact us to schedule an appointment at 302-623-4593, option 1, or toll free at 1-800-811-8116.