Delaware Branch Campus
Christiana Care is designated as a participating hospital in Sidney Kimmmel Medical College’s Delaware Branch Campus by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, the accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the M.D. degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools. Other participants are the Nemours A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children and the Wilmington Veterans Administration Hospital. Christiana Care has a long-standing relationship in providing first-rate medical education to students from Sidney Kimmmel Medical College, one of the top-rated medical schools in the country.
Congratulations to our class of 2015 Delaware Branch Campus students on a very successful match!
|Jennifer Baker||Surgery||University of Cincinnati Medical Center|
|Lindsay Mammarella||Family Medicine||University of Rochester Medical Center|
|Laura Methvin||Internal Medicine||Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital|
|Jeffrey Muenzer||Emergency Medicine||Drexel Hospital|
|Ngoc Nguyen||Anesthesia||Cleveland Clinic|
|Ashley Panichelli||Family Medicine||Christiana Care Health System|
|Markian Pazuniak||Psychiatry||Albert Einstein Medical Center|
|Daniel Shapiro||Anesthesia||Baylor College of Medicine in Houston|
|Anthony Stefanelli||Neurosurgery||Thomas Jefferson University Hospital|
|Alissa Werzen||Med-Peds||University of Maryland Medical Center|
Frequently asked questions about the Delaware Branch Campus
If I chose “Delaware Option”, how would my 3rd year rotations be scheduled? Would I participate in the lottery?
Students selecting the Delaware option will be assigned to all third year rotations in Delaware. Students would not need to participate in the lottery.
What about my 4th year? Will I be able to take all required 4th year courses in Delaware as well?
Yes, nearly all required fourth year courses will be available in Delaware, as well as many electives and priority scheduling for rotations at Christiana Care Health System.
Will Christiana Care Health System be providing all the rotations? Are there other sites in Delaware?
Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Psychiatry, Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine are all provided by Christiana Care. Pediatrics will be provided by the Nemours A.I. du Pont Hospital for Children. There will also be the opportunity for rotations to take place at the VA in Wilmington as well as other locations.
Will I still have the opportunity to rotate outside of Delaware if I were interested?
Yes, we realize students may want some exposure to other hospital systems in the affiliate network for a variety of reasons. Therefore, students may “opt out” of Delaware rotations by exchanging with classmates, as allowed by the lottery.
Will housing be provided?
No, housing is not provided. Students participating in the Delaware option would be able to move out of Philadelphia and live in Delaware where most (if not all) of their 3rd and 4th year rotations would take place. Delaware has lots of very affordable housing within easy driving distance of any of the Delaware Hospitals. Delaware staff will help all students in arranging housing.
Would I need a car if I participated in the Delaware option?
Yes, most likely you will need a car. Most of the rotations take place within the Christiana Care Health System. However, within Christiana Care there are two hospitals as well as many other clinical care sites. Student rotations may take place occasionally at any site. In addition, there may be required activities at JMC that would require travel back to Philadelphia.
Will the Delaware campus provide any unique rotational experiences I should know about?
Yes, there are several unique opportunities for students choosing to participate in the Delaware option. For example:
- Students will be able to enroll in the nationally recognized Christiana Care quality improvement course.
- There is an existing University of Delaware/Thomas Jefferson University MD-MBA program. Students can enroll in this program and have less distance to travel for any UD responsibilities.
- Students will have the opportunity to participate in Christiana Care evening education sessions, including simulated patient care activities.
- Students will be offered a skill based orientation in our Virtual Education and Simulation Training Center.
- Students may undertake specific community projects with Bridging the Gaps, the minority and disparity programs of Delaware State University or other areas.
- Students will be offered specific elective experiences in Geriatrics, Population Health and Informatics with experts at Christiana Care, A.I. duPont and throughout the state.
- Students choosing to do the Thomas Jefferson University MD-MPH program will be able to identify projects and mentors in Delaware for thesis or project study.
Will my graduation status or diploma change at all if I choose the Delaware option?
All future documentation, including your diploma and Dean’s letter, will be indistinguishable from any other Sidney Kimmel Medical College student.
For more information, contact Lisa Maxwell, M.D., Associate Chief Learning Officer, at email@example.com.