General Surgery Undergraduate Education
The general surgery rotation is designed to introduce the student to the core knowledge, skills and behaviors regarding surgery.
The student will be assigned to a surgical service and will work closely with a surgical resident and attending who will outline duties and supervise activities. The student is expected to assist in the care of patients assigned to them and those managed by the surgical service to which they are a member. The medical student surgical clerkship director and clerkship coordinator will provide complete oversight for the rotation.
The student is expected to attend and be knowledgeable of the operative procedures that they are assigned as well as those of the service to which they are a member. The student is to complete a history and physical examination and to complete daily progress notes on assigned patients, which must be countersigned by a supervising resident or attending.
The student is expected to:
- Be knowledgeable of the status of assigned patients.
- Be an active member of the surgical team.
- Provide case presentations and answer clinically relevant questions at patient rounds or conferences.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information to patients in the presence of or under the direct supervision of a resident or attending physician.
- Act and dress in a professional manner during all daily activities in the operating room and in all patient, staff, and personal interactions at Christiana Care Health System.
- Abide by all HIPAA guidelines, and by all personal and professional policies of Christiana Care Health System and their medical school.
- Be prepared, be on time, and read.
|Director||Raymond H. Green, D.O.|
|Medical Student Coordinator
for Department of Surgery
|Ruth Ann Haschak, 302-733-4260, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Location||Christiana Hospital or Wilmington Hospital|
|Duration||6 weeks for Jefferson 3rd year students; 4 weeks for PCOM 3rd year students; 4 weeks for 4th year Jefferson, PCOM and all others|
|Students||4 Jefferson 3rd year; 4 PCOM 3rd year; 4 4th year students|