Stroke and Brain Injury Rehabilitation
How blessed you are that your father, or wife, or teenage child survived the stroke or traumatic brain injury and has progressed enough to continue recovering at home. How overwhelming that you now must find your way as the primary caretaker through this next step in the recovery process.
Brain injuries and the complications from stroke impact family members, loved ones and caregivers in significant and myriad ways. Just as every person’s brain is unique, every brain injury is different. One common thread that every family facing brain injury learns is that recovery truly is a process, one that works best with long-term planning and the commitment of everyone involved.
No family has to go through this alone. From inpatient care to outpatient care, ChristianaCare’s Stroke and Brain Injury programs are uniquely designed to help each patient achieve the highest possible quality of life and independence — and to support caregivers in learning to help coach them through recovery. Our interdisciplinary team of stroke and brain injury experts regularly reviews each patient’s progress and adjusts treatment goals, openly communicates with family members and caregivers to ensure that coordination, communication and consistency remain priorities for each patient’s individualized treatment plan.
Our outpatient brain injury and stroke rehabilitation programs carry forth the recovery progress established by our regionally renowned Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)-accredited inpatient programs. Awarded the highest certification, each meets rigorous peer-reviewed standards of accountability and excellence in providing exceptional quality.
To help ensure that recovery continues to progress, we’re here to help with:
- Activities of daily living and life skills training.
- Upper-extremity retraining.
- Splinting/serial casting.
- Community re-entry.
- Functional cognition skills.
- Visual-perceptual therapy
- Balance programming.
- Advanced mobility equipment.
- Gait and transfer training.
- Strengthening and endurance programs.
Speech and language pathology
- Swallow therapy including videos swallows and FEES testing.
- Voice therapy.
- Speech and language skills retraining.
- Language-based cognitive skills.
- Full battery assessments.
- Treatment and counseling for individuals and families.
- Behavioral management.
We can also help connect you with community-based services to help make life easier:
- Assistance for visual impairment.
- Community support groups.
- Door-to-door transportation assistance.
- Driver education
- Financial management.
- Orthotics and prosthetics.
- Psychiatry and counseling.
- Spasticity and tone management.
- Vocational rehabilitation.
When healing from stroke or traumatic brain injury, recovery is measured differently for each patient. Let us help your family put the right plan in place to meet your goals.