Donor Evaluation Process
Our living donor team relies on the following consultations and tests to assess your overall health.
The initial evaluation consultations consist of:
- Living donor education.
- Medical evaluation by a nephrologist.
- Psychosocial evaluation.
- Initial tests: Lab work (blood tests), X-ray and EKG.
The comprehensive testing consists of additional:
- Cardiac studies.
- Imaging studies.
- As needed for some patients…standard health screenings, including colonoscopy, prostate screening, mammogram, Pap test and/or dental exam.
At your living donor evaluation appointment you might also meet with several other team members, including:
- A social worker, who reviews your support system and insurance coverage.
- A dietitian, who reviews your dietary habits and, if needed, helps you change them.
- A financial analyst, who determines if you have any medically related financial challenges that need to be addressed.
- A pharmacist, who reviews your allergy information and current medications.
- An independent living donor advocate (a social worker), who will ensure the donor’s rights are protected and confirm this is a voluntary decision.
Finally, you will meet with a living donor coordinator, who becomes your point of contact with our program. The coordinator reviews your test results and helps to arrange further tests if needed. Once all the tests are complete, our team works as a committee to determine if you are a good candidate to donate a kidney.
Once the evaluation is complete, the prospective donor’s chart will be reviewed by the physicians and multi-disciplinary team at the weekly selection committee meeting. The selection committee may approve the patient for donation, require additional information prior to making a decision, or determine that the patient is not a candidate for living donation.
Individuals interested in considering living donation should plan to invest up to five days of evaluations and testing over several weeks before the planning of the donor surgery.
If you are interested in being evaluated as a potential living donor, please contact our living donor program by calling 302-623-3866 to get the process started.