Visiting a Patient: Hours and Guidelines
Visitation Guidelines effective 3/22/21
For the health and safety of our patients and caregivers, ChristianaCare has visitor restrictions in place to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Printable version of our visitor guidelines (pdf)
Because of the risk to visitors of COVID-19 exposure, visitors are not permitted for suspected or confirmed COVID-19 patients, with limited exceptions.
- Hospitalized patients who do not have COVID-19 or are not suspected of having COVID-19 may have one visitor between the hours of 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. This means one individual person may visit per day. For the safety of our patients, visitors may not go in and out of the hospital or switch places with another visitor.
- Up to two visitors at a time are permitted for patients in hospice or at the end of life.
- One visitor is permitted for patients in palliative care.
- Laboring and postpartum mothers may have one support person. In addition to a designated support person, laboring patients may have the support of a doula during labor and birth. Doulas will need to provide preparation documentation and comply with all applicable requirements of the visitation guidelines.
- Pediatric patients (including in the NICU) may have two parents/guardians or one parent/guardian and one other visitor.
- One support person is permitted for patients in the Emergency Department.
- One support person is permitted for surgical or interventional procedures.
- One support person may be permitted for patients with special needs, neurocognitive disabilities or behavior concerns. The designated support person will be the one visitor allowed during normal visitation hours.
- Visitors must remain masked at all times while in the hospital.
- Visitation is limited to those 16 years of age or older.
- All support persons/visitors will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will not be permitted entry if they do not pass the screening procedure.
- All support persons/visitors will receive a visitor badge.
- Visitation privileges may be discontinued at any time based on the patient’s clinical situation of the patient, visitor noncompliance or other factors.
All support persons/visitors should:
- Follow masking guidelines, respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette precautions while in the common areas of the facility.
- Bring cloth or other masks from home if possible. If not masked upon arrival, a mask will be provided.
- Respect social distancing of at least 6 feet as much as possible, including in the patient’s room.
- Perform hand hygiene frequently with soap/water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer and limit surfaces touched.
- Remain in the patient’s room to the extent possible.
Visitors and patients wearing a valved mask will be given a surgical mask to use in place of/over the valved mask; valved masks only offer limited protection against COVID-19.
To contact a patient by phone, call 302-733-1000.
Many business units at ChristianaCare are limiting or eliminating walk-in visits. Please call ahead to check availability.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare shuttle service is for employees only until further notice.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare valet service is suspended until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.