Visiting a Patient: Hours and Guidelines
Visitation Guidelines effective 6/16/21
For the health and safety of our patients and caregivers, ChristianaCare has visitor restrictions in place to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Because of the risk to visitors of COVID-19 exposure, visitors are not permitted for suspected or confirmed COVID-19 patients, with limited exceptions.
- Hospitalized patients who do not have COVID-19 or are not suspected of having COVID-19 may have two visitors at a time between the hours of 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Patients on our Behavioral Health Unit at Wilmington Hospital may have one visitor.
- More than two visitors at a time are permitted for patients in hospice or at the end of life if considered appropriate by the patient’s nursing unit.
- Visitors may switch throughout the day. The initial two visitors will be provided with visitation badges; they may pass them to the visitors with whom they wish to change visitation.
- Visitors may come and go during visiting hours. Visitors do not need to remain in the facility throughout the day.
- Visitors (vaccinated and unvaccinated) must remain masked at all times while in the hospital.
- Visitation is limited to those 16 years of age or older.
- All support persons/visitors will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and will not be permitted entry if they do not pass the screening procedure.
- All support persons/visitors will receive a visitor badge.
- Visitation privileges may be discontinued at any time based on the clinical situation of the patient, visitor noncompliance or other factors.
- Patient belongings will no longer be accepted at the front desk for transport to patients. Visitors should bring items with them to take to patients. (This does not include flower deliveries.)
All support persons/visitors should:
- Follow masking guidelines, respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette precautions while in the common areas of the facility.
- Bring cloth or other masks from home if possible. If a visitor is not masked upon arrival, a mask will be provided.
- Respect social distancing of at least six feet as much as possible, including in the patient’s room.
- Perform hand hygiene frequently with soap/water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer and limit surfaces touched.
- Remain in the patient’s room to the extent possible.
Visitors and patients wearing a valved mask will be given a surgical mask to use in place of/over the valved mask; valved masks only offer limited protection against COVID-19.
To contact a patient by phone, call 302-733-1000.
Many business units at ChristianaCare are limiting or eliminating walk-in visits. Please call ahead to check availability.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare shuttle service is for employees only until further notice.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare valet service is suspended until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.