Visiting a Patient: Hours and Guidelines
New Visitation Guidelines
At this time, no visitors are allowed to visit any patients at ChristianaCare hospitals, and no support people are allowed to accompany a patient to a service except for the following:
- Up to two visitors at a time are permitted for patients in hospice or at the end of life.
- One visitor is permitted for patients in palliative care.
- For laboring and postpartum mothers, and for neonatal ICU and pediatric patients, two separate individuals can be designated as support persons, but only one can visit at a time.
- One support person is permitted for patients in the Emergency Department.
- One support person is permitted for surgical or interventional procedures. If the patient remains in the hospital after surgery, the support person must leave after the post-surgical update.
- One support person may be permitted for patients with special needs, neurocognitive disabilities or behavior concerns, with approval.
- All visitors, including those designated as support persons, will be screened for coronavirus risk before being permitted to enter.
In addition to a designated support person, laboring patients may have the support of a doula during labor and birth. In addition to providing doula preparation documentation, the doula should comply with all applicable requirements of the visitation guidelines.
All visitors, including those designated as support persons, will be screened for coronavirus risk before being permitted to enter. Screening will include questions related to symptoms and whether the visitor has been diagnosed or is under evaluation for COVID-19. Screening also includes temperature monitoring. Any visitor who is screened positive for symptoms or with a temperature of more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit will not be allowed to enter.
Visitors and patients wearing a valved mask will be given a surgical mask to use in place of/over the valved mask; valved masks only offer limited protection against COVID-19.
To contact a patient by phone, call 302-733-1000.
Many business units at ChristianaCare are limiting or eliminating walk-in visits. Please call ahead to check availability.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare shuttle service is for employees only until further notice.
To protect the public, patients and caregivers from coronavirus, ChristianaCare valet service is suspended until further notice.
Please note: Ambulatory infusion services are still operational and caring for patient needs.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.