Your Hospital Stay
Welcome to ChristianaCare. While you are our guest, we will work hard to provide you the very best health care in a safe, comfortable environment.
Here are some important things to know before you leave for the hospital:
- Please bring your insurance cards or have the necessary insurance information from your Blue Cross, Aetna, Medicare, HMO or other insurance plan with you. Necessary insurance information that you should have includes your insurance plan name, group number, type of coverage and identification number.
- Please understand that ChristianaCare discourages you from bringing valuables such as jewelry, watches and money with you to the hospital.
Here are some important things to know when you arrive:
- Please tell your doctor or nurse about any medications you are currently taking. Your doctor will prescribe any medications you will need during your hospital stay.
- A patient identification bracelet containing your name and patient number will be placed around your wrist when you are admitted. Our staff members check it often to make sure you receive the proper medications, tests and treatments. Because of its important role in ensuring that you get proper care, it is essential that you wear the bracelet until you are discharged from the hospital.
- Know how to keep your personal belongings safe during your stay. We discourage you from bringing valuables such as jewelry, watches and money with you to the hospital, but if you do bring them, your nurse can arrange to have them put into a safe. Read our guide for personal belongings to find out how to handle glasses and hearing aids, valuables, clothing, dentures and other items while you are staying in the hospital.
- ChristianaCare is smoke-free. There is no smoking permitted anywhere on ChristianaCare campuses. This includes outdoors and in parking areas.
- Your bedside telephone service is free. There is no charge to use your phone; however, long-distance calls cannot be charged to your room. Read more about how to use your telephone.
- Electrical appliances from home are not permitted in your room. Appliances such as electric blankets, heating units, heating pads, coffee pots and space fans are a fire hazard and may not be designed for the electrical system used in hospitals. Please check with your nurse before using any electrical equipment.
- If you have questions or concerns about the cleanliness of your room, call the Housekeeping Hotline. At Christiana Hospital, dial 3820. At Wilmington, dial 2385.
- Your room’s temperature is adjustable. Your nurse can request a temperature change for you.
- Research shows that patients who take part in decisions about their health care are more likely to have better outcomes. Learn how to speak up to improve your health care experience.
If you have any additional questions, please ask your nurse or the nurse manager.
For general patient feedback, compliments or safety or quality concerns, please use this online form.