Fast Breast MRI
For decades, mammography has been the number one screening tool for detecting breast cancer. Today, while mammography is still a valuable tool, doctors may also use MRI to screen for breast cancer in high-risk women. But what if you’re not high risk? You still may benefit from additional screening beyond mammography, and ChristianaCare is now offering another option.
The ChristianaCare Breast Center at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute is the first in Delaware to offer Fast Breast MRI, a shortened version of conventional MRI. It is useful for women who have dense breast tissue or have a higher than average (intermediate) risk of developing breast cancer.
While mammography catches many breast cancers, it doesn’t catch them all. Fast Breast MRI offers extra screening for women who have had negative mammograms and do not have any current breast problems.
What is a Fast Breast MRI?
- A shorter test than full breast MRI that takes about 10 minutes to complete.
- A test that may find breast cancer that does not show on a mammogram or ultrasound.
- An extra screening that does not replace your yearly mammogram.
Who can get a Fast Breast MRI?
- Women with dense breast tissue seen on mammography.
- Women with a lifetime risk of breast cancer of 15-20%. (If you would like us to calculate your risk, call 302-623-4343.)
Why have a Fast Breast MRI?
- Dense breast tissue can make it harder to find cancer on a mammogram and may be linked to an increased risk of cancer.
- Women with a higher than average (intermediate) lifetime risk may benefit from this extra breast cancer screening.
What is needed for a Fast Breast MRI?
- Prescription from your doctor.
- Normal mammogram within the prior year.
Fast Breast MRI is a self-pay test that costs less than a full breast MRI. To learn more, call 302-623-4200.
ChristianaCare Breast Center
Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute, Suite 1400 (West Entrance)
4701 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19713 directions