Thoracic Surgery & Interventional Pulmonology
Experienced specialists, advanced technology, coordinated care — excellent outcomes
If you have complex malignant (cancerous) and non-malignant conditions of the lung, esophagus, thymus, mediastinum, chest wall or diaphragm, ChristianaCare’s Thoracic and Interventional Pulmonology team at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute streamlines world-class services — and unmatched experience — for the best possible care, all in one convenient location.
- Highly trained, experienced thoracic surgery and interventional pulmonology specialists.
- Accurate diagnosis, personalized treatment plans and comfort procedures.
- Precision-driven minimally invasive technology.
- Excellent clinical outcomes.
- We partner with you, every step of the way.
A better way to care for lung and airway disease
ChristianaCare is the first program between Philadelphia and Baltimore, and one of the few in the entire country, to merge Thoracic Surgery and Interventional Pulmonology into one highly skilled collaborative team. Our streamlined, patient-centered, multidisciplinary approach means better experiences — and better outcomes — for our patients. We’ll help you address a newly diagnosed or ongoing complex airway or lung concern using advanced and diverse diagnostic, treatment and surgical procedures, and work with your primary care provider, pulmonologist, respiratory and/or oncology team to help you better manage chronic conditions, such as:
- Airways disease
- Cancer of the airways.
- Interstitial lung disease.
- Lung cancer.
- Pleural disease.
- Pulmonary nodules.
We specialize in a full range of minimally invasive endoscopic and surgical options featuring da Vinci® robotic-assisted thoracic surgery and minimally invasive video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) techniques:
- Advanced bronchoscopy.
- Aerodigestive tract stenting (lung and esophagus).
- Balloon bronchoplasty.
- Biopsy of lung or lymph nodes.
- Bronchial stent.
- Bronchoalveolar lavage.
- Bronchoscopic thermoplasty.
- Bullectomy for emphysema.
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (superDimension™).
- Endobronchial lung volume reduction.
- Endobronchial Ultrasound System.
- Foreign body removal.
- Hiatal hernia repair and anti-reflux surgery.
- Indwelling pleural catheter placement.
- Minimally invasive cancer staging and treatment.
- Minimally invasive surgical resection for lung, esophageal, thymic and other chest malignancies.
- Minimally invasive transthoracic and transhiatal esophagectomy.
- Radiofrequency ablation of lung tumors (RALT).
- Rigid Bronchoplasty.
- Robotic first rib resection for thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Robotic lung and esophageal surgery.
- Surgical management of lung metastases.
- Surgical treatment of esophageal dysmotility conditions.
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) lobectomies.
- VATS resection of mediastinal cysts and posterior mediastinal neurogenic tumors.
- VATS sympathectomy.
Latest generation surgical advantages
More robotic and minimally invasive video assisted thorascopic surgeries (VATS) than any other program in Delaware
If you need thoracic surgery, it’s important to choose a team with the skills and experience that come from doing a large volume of procedures using today’s most sophisticated technology. Our surgeons do more procedures using the latest-generation advantages of da Vinci robotic-assisted surgery and minimally invasive video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) techniques than any other program in Delaware — and most within drivable distance. We’ll take the time to explain your diagnosis, help you explore your treatment options and guide you toward the best surgical plan for your specific needs.
Endobronchial Lung Volume Reduction
Available in Delaware only at ChristianaCare!
With endobronchial lung volume reduction — a newly FDA-approved breakthrough nonsurgical valve placement procedure for severe emphysema available in Delaware only at ChristianaCare — tiny, one-way valves block off diseased parts of the lung so healthier lung tissue can expand and take in more air. Clinical studies show that almost immediately patients are able to:
- Breathe easier.
- Be more active and energetic.
- Experience less shortness of breath.
- Enjoy a significantly improved quality of life compared to untreated patients.
Ask your pulmonologist, or call us at 302-623-4530 to see if this breakthrough procedure is right for you.
One team, one convenient location, outstanding clinical outcomes
Our specialists participate in the Graham Center’s Thoracic and Esophageal Cancer Multidisciplinary Center to ensure the most collaborative and promising care for patients with lung cancer, esophageal cancer, mesothelioma and other cancers of the chest. ChristianaCare was an early leader in this multidisciplinary approach that brings together the expertise of surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists — now the standard for leading institutions around the country and abroad.
Leading the way to treatment advances
Our Thoracic Surgery and Interventional Pulmonology team actively publishes and contributes to national and international studies, collaborative research and clinical trials through ChristianaCare’s nationally acclaimed research partnership with The Wistar Institute of Philadelphia. Our experienced thoracic surgeons and interventional pulmonologists hold appointments at some of the region’s most respected medical colleges, and help train — and inspire — the next generation of thoracic and interventional pulmonology specialists who will care for patients right here in Delaware for years to come.
At ChristianaCare, we’re committed to excellent outcomes; safe coordinated, compassionate care; and helping you breathe easier and get back back to the things you love to do — sooner, healthier and stronger.
Thoracic Surgery & Interventional Pulmonology
Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute
4701 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19713 directions