Like food and water, sleep is one of our most basic needs. But for more than one-third of us, sleep problems make a good night’s rest an impossible dream. If you have a sleeping disorder, you know the personal difficulties it can cause in your life. Fatigue, irritability and social embarrassment can affect your ability to accomplish simple tasks that others do easily. Some sleep disorders can also lead to other health problems, including cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.
The Sleep Center provides expert, multidisciplinary diagnosis and care for every kind of sleep problem. Working closely with you and your loved ones, our sleep center team provides the most effective treatments available. We can help you to overcome these and other sleep problems:
- Sleep apnea, frequent pauses in breathing during the night caused by an obstructed airway or a disturbance in the respiratory center of the brain.
- Insomnia, prolonged inability to fall asleep, with frequent awakenings and difficulty falling back to sleep. Insomnia is often caused by stress, depression, medications or poor sleep behaviors.
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS), unpleasant or tingling sensations in the legs that delay sleep. RLS causes uncontrollable urges to move one’s legs and difficulty remaining asleep due to involuntary twitches of the legs.
- Narcolepsy, sudden daytime attacks of excessive deep sleep. Narcolepsy often happens with muscle weakness brought on by strong emotions such as laughter or surprise.
- Sleepwalking, night terrors, teeth grinding and bedwetting, also called parasomnias, caused by poor progression from one sleep stage to another.
Home Sleep Study Tests
Home sleep study tests may be performed in the comfort and convenience of your home. Your doctor may have prescribed a sleep study to determine if you have obstructive sleep apnea. Home test kits are available for pickup and returns at the Sleep Center. The Sleep Center will provide you with instructions on how to use the home testing equipment. Contact the Sleep Center for more information and to schedule a home sleep study.
You can overcome your sleep problems
Your care at the Sleep Center begins with a personal sleep history, medical background and physical examination. If appropriate, a polysomnography (sleep study) may be ordered to enable us to monitor and record your brain waves, heart rate, blood oxygen level, breathing and eye movements. This study is done in a natural sleeping environment. With this information, our sleep experts can determine the source of a sleep problem and begin treatment to help make a good night’s sleep a safe and natural part of your daily life.
The staff of the ChristianaCare Sleep Center works closely with referring physicians. Once tests and treatments are completed, the Sleep Center sends a comprehensive report to your referring physician for careful review with you.
ChristianaCare Sleep Center
(accredited by American Academy of Sleep Medicine)
4735 Ogletown Stanton Rd #2210
Newark, DE 19713 directions