Balance and Mobility
Problems with balance, dizziness and movement can affect your ability to confidently do the activities you love. Our physical therapists at ChristianaCare Rehabilitation Services can help improve your coordination, balance and movement. Our therapists listen to your needs and partner with you to develop a treatment plant that helps you get back to the life you want to live.
Common dizziness and balance disorders (vestibular and non-vestibular) that can be helped by vestibular rehabilitation therapists:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).
- Bilateral vestibular hypofunction.
- Cervicogenic dizziness/headache (CGD/CGH).
- Falls prevention/balance dysfunction.
- Other multi-factorial dysequilibrium.
- Post-concussion syndrome.
- Unilateral vestibular hypofunction (UVH): acoustic neuroma /vestibular neuritis.
- Vertigo from central causes: stroke/multiple Sclerosis/traumatic brain injury.
We perform the following specialized balance and mobility tests:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): Dix Hallpike or Roll Test.
- Cervicogenic dizziness/headache (CGD/CGH): upper cervical testing and head motion sensitivity testing.
- Falls Prevention: Tests for postural stability/sway; including the Modified Clinical Test of Sensory Integration of Balance.
- Ocular and gaze stabilization testing.
- Post-concussion: various tests for sensitization, central symptoms or cervical symptoms.
- Unilateral vestibular hypofunction (UVH): Head Thrust; Head-Shaking Nystagmus.
- Video oculography vestibular testing for BPPV or vestibular hypofunction.
Additionally, many diagnoses may benefit from audiological vestibular testing.