Welcome to the ChristianaCare Department of Medicine. As a department, we are committed to teaching the next generation of physicians and advanced practice clinicians, advancing scholarly inquiry, and improving the health of our community.
Our diverse department is made up of a talented and compassionate group of providers who collaborate to provide excellence in patient care. Additionally, our internal medicine training programs are recognized nationally for innovation in a community academic setting. There is active engagement in a diverse portfolio of research. Some key facts about the department are:
- Supported by over 500 physicians and 200 advanced practice clinicians.
- Educates over 70 residents and 15 fellows each year.
- Engaged in the education of over 175 3rd and 4th year medical students each year.
- Providers within the Department of Medicine are clinically engaged in over 45,000 patients annually at our main acute care campuses in Wilmington, DE, Newark, DE, and Elkton, MD.
The Department of Medicine is committed to providing exceptional clinical care across the care continuum. It collaborates with key clinical partners in our region and nationally to serve with Love and Excellence in serving our neighbors.
- Vinay Maheshwari, M.D., MHCDS, FCCP
Hugh R. Sharp Jr., Chair, Department of Medicine
Physician Executive, Medical Group
- Kathleen F. Eldridge, M.D., MMM, SFHM, FACP
Vice Chair, Department of Medicine
Clinical Director, Acute Medicine Services, Medical Group
- Kunal Bhagat, M.D., FACP, SFHM
Director of Patient Safety, Department of Medicine
- John Donnelly, M.D., FAAP, FACP
Director, Medical Education, Department of Medicine
Assistant Medical Director, Faculty Development, ChristianaCare Hospitalist Partners
- Gretchen Rickards, M.D., MPH, FACP
Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency
- Allen R. Friedland, M.D., FACP, FAAP
Program Director, Medicine Pediatrics Residency
- Jason Nace, M.D.
Program Director, Emergency Medicine–Internal Medicine Residency
- Himani Divatia, D.O., FACP, FAAP
Program Director, Transitional Year Residency
- Steven H. Rybicki, M.D.
Practice Clinical Leader, Wilmington Adult Medicine Office
- Marykay Ennis, MBA, LSSGB
Administrative Manager, Department of Medicine
- Gregory Marcotte, M.D.
Allergy & Clinical Immunology
- Kirk N. Garratt, MsC, M.D.
- Michael G. Benninghoff, D.O., MS
Critical Care Medicine
- Dawn Hirokawa, M.D., MPH
- M. James Lenhard, Jr., M.D.
Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases Center
- Mark Corso, M.D.
- Patricia Curtin, M.D., FACP, CMC
- Michael W. Lankiewicz, M.D.
- John Goodill, M.D., FACP, FCCP
Hospice & Palliative Care
- David Cohen, M.D.
- LeRoi S. Hicks, M.D., MPH, FACP
- Allen Friedland, M.D., FACP, FAAP
- Thomas Mueller, M.D.
- Gregory A. Masters, M.D.
- Kelly Eschbach, M.D.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Irene Swift, M.D.
- Theodore Saad, M.D.
Renal & Hypertensive Diseases
- Maryah Mansoor, MBBS
- Tony A. Bianchetta, M.D., FAAP
- Terry Horton, M.D.
- Kunal P. Bhagat, M.D., FACP, SFHM