The CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery System is a noninvasive alternative to surgery for the treatment of tumors anywhere in the body—with fewer side effects. Cyberknife treatment delivers very high doses of radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy. There is no anesthesia, no pain and minimal recovery time. It’s like having an X-ray; you don’t feel anything. In fact, in most cases, patients can return to normal activity the next day.
Delaware’s most advanced radiosurgery system
Unlike traditional radiosurgery systems that can only treat tumors in the skull, Cyberknife can treat tumors anywhere, including the lung, pancreas, liver, spine and prostate. The system’s advanced maneuverability offers complete access and coverage for any tumor size or shape, even in difficult-to-reach areas. This means maximal radiation doses can be delivered for the greatest benefit with minimal damage to surrounding healthy tissues and organs.
For men receiving prostate cancer radiation therapy, the Cyberknife team is introducing the use of SpaceOAR (Organs at Risk) hydrogels to protect the rectum from injury and thereby improve outcomes. We are the only center in Delaware to introduce this advanced protection for prostate cancer therapy.
The CyberKnife at Christiana Care is the first and only CyberKnife in Delaware and one of only a few in the Mid-Atlantic region. Here are just a few of its advantages:
- Real-time tracking: We can continuously track the tumor position, detect the tumor’s location and make adjustments for tumor and patient movement throughout treatment sessions.
- Pinpoint precision: The CyberKnife System delivers high-dose radiation with sub-millimeter accuracy (within the width of a hair), minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue accuracy.
- Painless and noninvasive: The CyberKnife is painless and requires no anesthesia and no surgical incisions. It virtually eliminates the risk of complications such as infections, hemorrhage, and the loss of hearing or feeling associated with traditional surgery. It’s a pain-free, noninvasive alternative for patients, including those diagnosed with previously inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or for patients who are looking for an alternative to surgery.
- No recovery time: Compared to traditional open surgery, CyberKnife treatments are performed on an outpatient basis, eliminating overnight hospital stays.
- Superior comfort: Patients experience improved comfort due to the system’s frameless design, which eliminates the pain and inconvenience associated with the head or body frame used to immobilize patients in traditional radiosurgery.
- Convenience: With an advanced planning system, a patient’s treatment setup can be scheduled at the patient’s convenience, and patients can be treated in as few as one to five visits.
- Flexibility: Offers maneuverability and versatility that is unsurpassed by traditional radiation systems. By delivering radiation beams from virtually unlimited positions, the CyberKnife System can treat tumors anywhere in the body—from any angle—including the brain, spine, lung, liver, pancreas and prostate.
Cyberknife, Christiana Care Helen F. Graham Cancer Center
4701 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19713 directions