When you are ready to leave the hospital:
- Your doctor will write an order for your discharge.
- You may find it helpful to choose a home caregiver/support person who can help you after leaving the hospital.
- We will review a discharge instruction sheet with you and your home caregiver/support person. If you follow these instructions, you will have a greater chance of getting well faster.
- If the person picking you up is not available at the time your doctor discharges you, a member of your care team may escort you to the Discharge Lounge to wait for your ride home.
- Before discharge, you may request that your discharge prescriptions be dispensed from ChristianaCare’s retail pharmacy.
- After receiving your initial prescription, you may continue using our retail pharmacy or have the pharmacy transfer the remaining refills to the pharmacy of your choice.
- Make sure you can read the handwriting on any prescriptions written by your doctor. If you can’t read it, the pharmacist may not be able to either.
- Before your discharge, you may ask your nurse for the forms needed to request your medical records.